Saturday, January 15, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!!

This week was my birthday (Wednesday)....  Guess what I got in the mail?



Flax seed!

I'm absolutely ecstatic. Joybilee Farm came through beautifully on this, and we spent a giddy while exclaiming over the very Canadian-ness of the package - seriously, that's how excited I am - and then I got right to work researching designs for a flax break. Ye olde an' symple tules are more varied and complex than they first appear.

It's 500g of seed, enough to sow 200sqft thickly for fiber production. I have absolutely no idea what this translates into in terms of weight (or yardage) of linen yarn produced, but I will find out!

...

(If, like me, you're mildly obsessed with this, I did find here that a "1.5m by 5 m patch of flax produces about 350 grams of flax fibre." 1.5mx5m works out roughly to 80sqft, so my 200sqft patch might yield something like 875g of finished fiber, which would be about 2362yds in something like the preparation Euroflax Sport Weight uses, or an astonishing 5075yds in something similar to 14/2 Euroflax Lace. Of course, that's assuming it's the size of the plot that determines production, not the amount of seed that goes into it; and ignoring known variables like spinning technique, growing conditions, seed varieties, harvest timing, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment