Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Second Day

Tomorrow is Easter, the most joy-filled and holy day in the Christian calendar; yesterday was Good Friday, the most sorrowful day in the Christian calendar... today is Holy Saturday, or  Liminal Saturday, and it's an odd time. I'm thinking about it a great deal, as I dye eggs with my son. It feels like I've been living a lot in Liminal Saturday, with its awareness of everything that has been lost, and everything that has not yet been gained. It's a time of waiting, and worrying, grieving, and trying to keep faith. I feel a great kinship this year with apostles in their locked room, not daring to go out, and with the Marys in the garden, mourning their hopes and trying to understand. From my post 2000 years in the future, though, I can clearly see something the Marys couldn't -  in the morning, hope will dawn brighter and clearer than ever before. This dark, uncertain time always leads to the joy and victory of Easter.

I wish you and yours a wonderful Easter. May the hope, peace, and joy of the season fill your house tomorrow, and all year long!

No comments:

Post a Comment