Monday, February 7, 2011

What's on the wheel

Mixed wool "Potluck Roving", color "Vine Maple", purchased at Paradise Fibers.

Flash notwithstanding, this is actually pretty close to the real color.
I'm spinning it semi-worsted, not taking too much care about the drafting since I want it to have a kind of rustic texture when I'm done. I'm hoping for a mildly thick-and-thin worsted weight two-ply; so far it's spinning up at 22wpi, give or take, so I'm right on track.

Shiny penny for scale (and color reference)
I've got approximately 8oz of this, which I'm currently estimating will get me 500yds or so, once it's plied. Though right now it looks like it may go farther!

Would you believe me if I said this was an afternoon's spinning?? I'm flying through this!
I am, of course, spinning it on my beloved Kromski Prelude. HD was kind enough to take some action shots, so you can appreciate the beauty of a good spinning wheel in motion.


Good shot looking down on the bobbin and (blurry haze of) the flyer.

Here we bring in the treadle and my drafting technique. I tend to favor a short draw, which is what you see me using here.
The spiky thing back by the wheel is a lazy kate, currently empty.
The dangly bit of dark red in front of the wheel is a yarn loop on my orifice hook.


All the motion together! My right foot works the treadle, which moves the footman, which spins the wheel, which (by way of the drive band) turns the flyer and the bobbin, only the brake on the bobbin means it turns slower, so yarn winds up nicely on it as it spins around. Got it?


No comments:

Post a Comment